Monday, July 9, 2012

Things I've Learned in the Philippines...

Here are just a couple things I've noted about the Philippines (people, food, culture, etc) that I thought some people would be interested in reading:


  • if you order fish or shrimp, it will have its head and eyes on...
  • raising your eyebrows means "yes" or "hi" so when that cute Filippino guy smiles and raises his eyebrows at you, he's just saying "hi," nothing else - usually.
  • you can't get away from ants...Ever...or bug bites for that matter
  • if there's a line for the bathroom, the moment you open the door of the stall to step out, the next person starts pushing her way in, never mind that you're attempting to exit...
  • jeepney rides are fun - especially when the driver slams on his brakes going down hill so everyone piles on top of each other. :-D
  • Filippinos like to laugh
  • there is no predictable price expectancy for things. For instance, a Starbucks coffee was 200PHP ($4USD) while Pizza Hut was 115PHP ($3USD) and a 3D movie ticket was 250PHP ($5USD). I have noticed that you can never predict the price of something compared to how much you paid for something else...
  • leave the animals alone. Unless someone tells you an animal is tame/ok to pet, don't go near it. The animals out here are ferral and haven't been treated well by humans and there is an outbreak of rabies right now...
  • avoid conflict at all costs. This breeds bitterness in relationships.
  • cameras make you instantly popular :-D
  • the kids are unbelievably adorable out here! ;-D
  • the bread is amazingly delicious
  • chickens run around everywhere (even into the birth center!)
...and that's all that I can think of at the moment!

Karissa took this picture of me and Jeri talking... :-D 
adorable kitten I found. Needless to say, he didn't love me back... :-D

Mommy, Mommy! May I keep it? 

Little My-My, Ate Helen's baby

I think she is one of the cutest things that has ever walked the earth :-D


see what I mean?!

Martin thinks he owns this place.

Jennifer took this picture of me and one of my assists

I caught this little guy yesterday. And trust me, he was little - 4.6lb. In fact, he was easy to catch because he fit easily in my two hands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment