Thursday, July 26, 2012

Stats

Since I've been here a month, I thought I should give y'all some numbers... :-D

Since arriving in the Philippines, I've attended 14 births. Two of those births were at Mercy Maternity Center in Davao City but the other 12 have been here at Shiphrah Birthing Home.

I have caught six babies and charted for six births. At Mercy, I observed two births (meaning I did absolutely nothing but watch).

Every Tues, Wed, and Thurs, I have helped with prenatals. I haven't counted how many prenatals I've done but I've done more than 50. And that's not counting how many blood pressures I've taken (more than 100...my ears aren't always happy with me at the end of a prenatal morning...).

I've only done 4-6 newborn exams, since the timing of those is tricky. Sometimes I'm here when they do it, and sometimes the midwives will do it without telling me. But that's ok.

For three-day postpartums, I've done between 6 and 10. I'm not totally sure how many...

Since coming here:

The longest time I've been with a mom is nine hours. The woman showed up at 1am and delivered around 10am.

The longest pushing stage I've seen is 4 hours. (I felt so bad for that poor mom when it was over!)

The shortest pushing stage I've seen is ten minutes, and she was even a first time mom!

All together, I think it's been a very productive month! Hopefully this second month is even more productive and I learn a ton!

Thank you all for supporting me through financial gifts and prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment