Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wrapping up

Well I have one week left. It's hard to believe 5 months can go by so fast but here I am thinking about being in an airplane next week. Life goes fast.

I have been back at shiphrah for 9 days and haven't caught a baby in that time. The only births have been continuities for other ladies. I am hoping for at least one more catch so I can go out with 50 catches (yes you read that right - 50!)

Last night I went to church with a friend and found out on Wednesday nights, his church has "baptists got talent." and they truly did. It was amazing watching several teams compete against each other and they were all really good. My favorite didn't win though. :( oh well.

I found out his church has a deaf ministry and I enjoyed watching an interpreter signing again. Although this is the Philippines, I was shocked by how similar te signing was to American sign language. When we sang hymns, I signed the songs while I sang (I have been doing that since I was ten). Te deaf community noticed and the moment church was over several young people came racing over and began excitedly signing to me "hi what's your name?"

I replied but felt clumsy since my fingers aren't used to finger spelling anymore.

They all signed their names and I understood. We asked each other a few questions before they went racing off to play.

It was a lot of fun and I was excited to use some of the sign language I have known for so long. It was very rewarding. :) I love sign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment