Monday, November 19, 2012

Home!!!

I am home!

My flight left Manila at 6:30am Thursday morning, so I was supposed to leave Shiphrah at 2:30am to be at the airport by 3:30am. The person supposed to drive me to the airport accidentally set their alarm to 3:30am so at 3:00 I was starting to wonder where in the world they were, knowing we were supposed to have left a half hour before. Racing over to his house, I discovered that he had *just* woken up so we went racing out of the house and to Shiphrah to grab my bags and race to the airport. Thankfully, I had just enough time to wake up Ate Dina (she had asked that I do it) and give her a hug goodbye.

At the airport, I had the fun job of dragging my two suitcases behind me through the long check-in line. I was scared one of my bags might be overweight, but thankfully it was just under. Things went smashingly and I finally got to sit at my gate and wait for the plane.

The woman next to me began to chat and asked me why I was in Manila. I told her briefly about Shiphrah. Her comment was, "So you are able to do cesareans for emergencies?" I explained that we don't do cesareans but transport if there are any problems. "But what about emergencies?" she persisted. Rarely are there emergencies where it's an instant life-and-death situation so birth centers (and homebirths!) are just fine.

Then, the woman proceeded to tell me her birth story. I guess back when she had her daughter (twenty years ago), she made it to fully and then the doctor told her she needed to have a cesarean because the baby wasn't coming down and she wasn't pushing properly. Then after the baby was born, he told her she needed the cesarean because the baby had the cord wrapped around her neck. I don't know the real circumstances of the birth, but a cord wrapped around a baby's neck is really normal. My last three catches (and plenty more before that) all had one coil around their neck and they were all ok. Anyway, I thought it interesting that here I was talking with a perfect stranger and after hearing I'm a midwifery student, she proceeded to tell me all the details of her birth. It's amazing the stories you hear just by telling people you're a midwife. :-D

The flight to Hong Kong was uneventful and I watched "Dogs in the City," a dog training TV show, all the way (and got plenty of good ideas to implement with my dogs! Watch out, Troy and Staal - your time is coming!). However, I had a very tight layover - one hour from when I was supposed to land in Hong Kong until when I took off for JFK. I was pretty nervous and started to prepare myself to miss the plane, all the while praying that I would make it.

After landing (ten minutes late), I waited in line to get off the plane and headed to security (yes, even if you don't leave the airport, you have to go through security again...). The line was fairly long and took me about 20 minutes to get through. Then, I ran through the airport, following signs to gate 4. It turns out gate 4 was on the complete other side of the airport so I finally arrived panting at the gate at the time my ticket said was the absolute latest I could board. A very long line stretched from the gate so I verified I was supposed to be in the line and stood for about 15 minutes until I hit *another* security (where they actually unpack your carry-on, inspect everything, and repack your bag) and *finally* boarded the airplane.

I was one of the last few people to board as soon after I was seated, we took off. All I could think was "Thank You, Jesus! Woohoo! I'm off to America! I made the plane! Thank You, Lord!"

My seat was in the very middle of the plane (middle seat, middle row), so I wasn't overly excited about being sandwiched again (it was like that the flight over). However, I sat down and resigned myself. A stewardess looked at me and asked if I was traveling alone. "Yes, I am." "Well, the daughter of the lady next to you wants to ride next to her mom. She's in the window seat over there. Would you be willing to switch with her?"

Would I?! Of course!!!!

They apologized profusely to making me switch seats but I was thrilled. I got a window seat! Thank You, Jesus! :-D

When I flew Chicago to Manila, I remember thinking the plane ride was very long and uncomfortable and tiring so I was expecting this flight to be the same way. However, I was fairly comfortable and was able to rest, relax, watch movies, and sleep. It was wonderful.

I landed in New York and was so excited to be back on American soil and breathe clean air and feel cold. After wading my way through customs, I stepped into the airport feeling exuberant and free. One of my friends is a flight attendant and she flew to JFK to meet me. I quickly found her and we had a wonderful time catching up on the last five months. It was so refreshing to talk with a friend from home.

Finally, after 20 something hours of traveling, I boarded the flight to North Carolina. I was *so* excited and couldn't believe my five months were completely over! My friend would probably tell you I was giddy. I was crazy. So excited.

Once I was back in Raleigh, I did my best to fly through the airport until I saw my family. Everyone was standing there with Welcome Home signs (which I specifically told them NOT to do) and big hugs. It was so wonderful getting to see my family again and give them all hugs and kisses. I was so happy to be home.

The only downside was I lost my luggage along the way. But it was delivered at midnight when it finally arrived in Raleigh (I think it didn't make the connection from Hong Kong to JFK).

But I was home! (And I still am home!)

One funny thing is that Promise, my sister known for her talkativeness, hasn't been quiet around me since I saw her at the airport. I kinda forgot how much she talks...

Anyway... :-D Pictures will come later, once I download them off my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment