Friday, September 21, 2012

Theres someone out there!

Last night I babysat the Gustafson kids (jeri's grandchildren). There are three of them and they're about the ages of Isaac, grace, and promise. Since they remind me so much of my siblings, I was thrilled to watch them for the evening.

When I showed up, Deborah,their mom, greeted me at the door with, "they've created a skit for you." I couldn't help but laugh because I remember when I was little doing little special things like that for my babysitters. (in other words, I have arrived! Lol.) I watched their skit (a funny medical drama - Bernadette has diarrhea so needs to have her leg amputated!) and eventually participated in it (I fractured my hand so they chopped it off and sewed it to my head...). It was a lot of fun.

Then came bedtime. I read Aubrey and Auden some grimms fairy tales. I have never read grimms fairy tales and was horrified by some of them. When I got to the one about Faithful John who got turned into stone and the king killed his own kids in order to bring Faithful John back to life, I cried, "WHAT?!" the kids thought my reaction was hilarious...

Anyway, the main point of this blog post was around 9:30 when it was dark an peaceful and all the kids were asleep, their guard dog started barking. I heard muted voices but didn't particularly care until I suddenly realized that the voices were coming from the garage!

I raced over to the window to look out and saw a man. Putting my arms across my chest, I shouted out, "who are you and what are you doing?" I was scared and trying to look and sound intimidating.

He looked up and I noticed a woman with him. He started babbling but with the dog barking like crazy, and him speaking Tagalog, I couldn't understand a word he said. Finally, I understood one phrase, "I own this house."

At this point, my loud voice and the dog barking woke Aubrey up and he came to investigate. He looked at the man and woman and said "I've never seen them before and that is NOT the landlord."

That did it for me. I told the people to go away. After some frustrating back-and-forth, they left.

The moment we were sure they wee gone, Aubrey races into the kitchen and came back with two huge knives. "if you hear any more noises before mom and dad get back, take one of these to the door with you."

Haha, thanks, Aubrey!

We aren't quite sure who those two might have been, but there's a decent chance they were robbers. Praise God for keeping me and the kids safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment