Wednesday, September 12, 2012

One of the Best Moments Ever!

When I first got to the Philippines and found out that the midwives knit, I figured they must get their yarn somewhere local, but I was wrong. A really sweet American, Darlene, imports the yarn and gives it to the midwives for them to knit scarves, shawls, and belts to sell. The midwives are constantly knitting.

One day I heard them all lamenting about how they couldn't have yarn of their own or knit anything for themselves because yarn is not present in the Philippines and they can't afford to buy any of their own work.

Then Jeri told me she was going to the US and I got an idea. First, I interviewed Ate Grace and Ate Bhel, asking them what everyone's favorite colors are. Then, I e-mailed the color list to Mom and asked her to pick up at least one ball of yarn in each of those colors for the midwives. Mom enlisted the help of my sisters in order to accomplish this and they bought each of the midwives two balls of yarn which Jeri brought back to the Philippines with her.

I picked up the yarn from Jeri last night and raced to SM today to get little gift bags. When I got back, I noticed that everyone was there and that all the day shift midwives and Ate Helen were about to leave.

"WAIT!!! I've got something for y'all!" I shouted, racing back to the apartment to grab all the gifts.

When I came back, everyone was waiting curiously. I handed out the bags and the fun began. Screaming and giggling and clapping erupted as everyone found two balls of fancy yarn in their favorite colors in the bags. While all the excitement was still high, I got them all together and took their picture.

It was so much fun! I love giving gifts like this. :-D

Enjoy!

from left, Ate Grace, Ate Helen (holding MaiMai), Ate Bhel, Maybel, Ate Lornie, Ate Lyds, and Ate Dina (Ryle, Roanne, and Johannah are in the back "row")

No comments:

Post a Comment